Sunday, May 27, 2012

Legend of the first banana story

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful girl called Maria. She was tall, with black eyes, and long shining hair. The colour of her skin was a clear light brow.
One morning, while she was collecting firewood, she met a young man.
He looked like a hunter. He was tall, handsome and very neatly dressed. No one knew
who he was or where he came from. Nor did anyone know his name. Maria liked him. He liked her too.
Maria did not know this but he was an anito or a spirit from the sky.
They became friends. Although they were good friends for a long time, the young man never asked Maria to became his wife.
This made Maria very unhappy. “I have no parents or brothers or sisters,” she said. “You too are alone. I am sure we could be happy together.”
“I didn’t want to tell you this,” the young man said, “but I am an anito. I cannot marry a human being. I have to return to the sky.”
Maria was surprised. She did not know what to say. She held his hands tightly.
“please let me go,” said the young man. “I had hoped you would never find out who I am.”
There was a blinding flash of light and the young man disappeared. But as Maria was holding on to his hands so tightly, he left them behind.
Of course, Maria was frightened. She ran  home and buried them in her garden. Soon she saw a strange plant growing where she had buried them. The plant grew fast.
Then some fruit appeared. It was yellow and shaped like a man’s hand with fingers on it. It was the first banana.
Source: Favourite stories from the Philippines by Leon Comber
shared by www.englishstory12.blogspot.com












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails