Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Scorpion and the Tortoise



Scorpion and Tortoise story


A scorpion and a tortoise became best friends and they took a vow that they would never be separated. So, when one of them was obliged to leave his native land, the other promised to go with him. One day, they have to travel outside their village. When they had traveled only a short distance, hey came to a wide river. The scorpion was now in great trouble.
"Alas," he said, "You, my friend, can easily swim, but how can a poor scorpion like me ever get across this stream?"
"Never fear," replied the tortoise. "Just place yourself on my broad back and I will carry you safely."
Then, the scorpion settled on the tortoise's broad back, and then the tortoise crawled into the water and began to swim. Halfway across, he was startled by a strange rapping on his back, which made him ask the scorpion what he was doing.
"I am whetting my sting to see if it is pos­sible to pierce your hard shell, "answered the scorpion.
"Ungrateful friend," said the tortoise. "You know very well that I have power to both save myself and punish you as you deserve." And then he sank his back below the surface and shook off the scorpion into the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails