Saturday, June 23, 2012

The frog in the well story


The frog in the well story
(Favourite stories from Chinese)

There was an old frog who lived at the bottom of a deep well. One day, he met a turtle from the Eastern Sea.
“It’s very comfortable here,” the frog called out. “Why don’t you come down and see for yourself?”
history.cultural-china.com
“No, thank you, Mr. Frog,” replied the turtle. “I am quite happy where I am.”
“You don’t know what you are missing,” said the frog. “I am my own master. When I feel like it, I can jump from one side of the well to the other. When I am tired, I can rest on the big stones at the bottom. If I want to, I can dive into the water and play in the soft mud and sand as much as I like. What could be better? I am really king of the well. Why don’t you come and join me?”
“You don’t know what you are missing ,” said the frog. “I am my own master. When l feel like it, I can jump from one side of the well to the other. When I am tired, I can rest on the big stones at the bottom. If I want to, I can drive into the water and play in the soft mud and sand as much as I like. What could be better? I am really king of the well. Why don’t you come and join me?”
The turtle began to move towards the edge of the well. He put one leg over the side. He started to lift over another leg, when suddenly he stopped.
“Come on down!” the frog called out.
But the turtle did not listen to him. He moved back a few steps.
“Dear Mr. Frog, have you ever seen the eastern sea?”
“No,” the frog answered.


Source: Favourite stories from Chinese by Leon Comber
shared by www.englishstory12.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank for your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails